Tuesday 29 March 2016

The 12 Year Old Genius - STEVIE WONDER**

Fingertips/Soul Bongo/La La La La La/I’m Afraid (The Masquerade Is Over)/Hallelujah I Love Her So/Drown In My Own Tears/Don’t You Know

Soul legend Stevie Wonder's first album featured his live repertoire whilst still a child. It includes the US No. 1 single Fingertips Part 2. A lively performance from 'Little' Stevie, but this 'call and response' chanting drowns rather than reveals his musical talents. (US:1)

"Fingertips Part 2 is one of the greatest recording of live music anywhere. The emotion and chaos of that one track sums up pretty everything that is wonderful about live music - in particular live soul. It's the beat, the audience participation, the unpredictability."

"Full version of his first smash hit Fingertips, featuring that utterly identifiable harmonica solo."

"I love the harmonica and singing on the first track, and the truly electric atmosphere on both sides. Stevie and his audience really relate."

"I am still haunted by the emotiveness and vocal style of the boy genius on all singing tracks, especially Drown In My Own Tears."

"There is a call and response from Stevie and the audience. From there little Stevie explodes into his drumming."

"If it weren't that he was blind this wouldn't have been successful. I heard Fingertips Parts 1 & 2, and its just stupid. I feel that the public just overlooked the fact that there's nothing to this except for a lot of shouting, a few words repeated over and over again, and the harmonica thrown in to spoil the orchestra."

No comments:

Post a Comment