Tuesday 8 March 2016

I’m A Woman – PEGGY LEE****

The Alley Cat Song/Mama’s Gone Goodbye/I’m Walkin’/Come Rain Or Come Shine/There Ain’t No Sweet Man/I’m A Woman/Mack The Knife/You’re Nobody Till Somebody Loves You/I’ll Get By/I Left My Heart In San Francisco/A Taste Of Honey/One Note Samba

Renowned jazz singer Peggy Lee achieved her final US top twenty album chart entry with I'm A Woman. The title track has been much covered by other artists. (US:18)

"It's simply terrific. The songs are great, Peggy has never been in better voice and the arrangements are exquisite."

"Rather than competing with the subtle vocals, the backing complements perfectly, adding neat guitar and piano flourishes in pieces like Mack The Knife."

"Shows Peggy at the peak of her popularity in the early sixties, performing a mix of soft, romantic songs and sultry blues songs, though the dividing line between the two is not always clear-cut."

"A very impressive interpretation of Mack The Knife. You're sick of that song? Listen to Peggy's version - it makes it fresh and exciting."

"With I’m A Woman she has the right pitch with all the notes, and the personality to make it magic."

“Endless imitators have tried to capture her spirited strength and sensuous charisma, but there is no comparison to the one and only Peggy Lee."

“Peggy Lee is at her jazzy and sultry best throughout I'm A Woman purring out classic greats such as Mack The Knife, A Taste Of Honey and her standard I'm A Woman, which is still being sung by young jazz singing hopefuls in clubs across the country, but none quite as effective as the definitive and very sensual version found here."

I'm A Woman is Peggy Lee's most accessible (and predictable) album, a sure-fire crowd pleaser that panders ever so slightly to its audience. She adapts nicely to the bossa nova fad, has the good taste to treat Tony Bennett's little aria intimately and slowly, and the title cut recapitulates an old familiar refrain in the Lee discography.”

No comments:

Post a Comment