Thursday 10 March 2016

Kingston Trio 16 – THE KINGSTON TRIO****

Reverend Mr Black/Road To Freedom/River Run Down/Big Ball In Town/One More Round/Old Joe Hannah/Run The Ridges/Try To Remember/Mark Twain/Low Bridge/Ballad Of The Quiet Fighter/La Bamba

The US top selling folk group The Kingston Trio continued their string of top twenty albums with the unimaginatively titled No. 16. A solid collection of folk tunes, many self penned, it includes the US top ten hit single Reverend Mr Black. (US:4)

"This album became the soundtrack to my early memories. I've listened to a lot of Kingston Trio albums, and they are all great, but this is my favourite."

"You get the usual excellent mix of folk music styles on this one, which is arguably the last great album The Kingston Trio did for the Capitol label."

"The Kingston Trio #16 is one of our family's most treasured items, and is one of the greatest albums ever released. Every song was engrained in my head from my earliest memory."

"The Kingston Trio's version of One More Round and Run The Ridges is musical perfection, the high point of the album's incredible intensity of patriot and rebel spirit."

"As nostalgic as this music is for me, the truth is they sound even better today as I listen to them with a more experienced mind."

"For anyone interested in the most even, musically and compositionally interesting and well produced Stewart era Kingston Trio album, this is the one to buy. The Trio at the top of their game."

Reverend Mr Black may not be a gospel song as such but it gives me chills every time I listen to it."

No comments:

Post a Comment