Monday 21 November 2016

Tony’s Greatest Hits Volume III – TONY BENNETT*****

I Left My Heart In San Francisco/I Wanna Be Around/Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars/When Joanna Loved Me/The Moment Of Truth/Who Can I Turn To/The Good Life/A Taste Of Honey/This Is All I Ask/Once Upon A Time/The Best Is Yet To Come/If I Ruled The World

Very unusually for a third hits collection release Tony's Greatest Hits Volume III contains a large percentage of his most highly regarded songs for which he is best remembered today. (US:20 UK:14)

"When I looked at the list of tracks in the album I expected to see some of his lesser hits but surprisingly it had most of my favourite songs I remembering him singing."

"Tony's third hits collection isn't only the best of his best, it's a classic. Bennett's career hit its second and highest artistic peak in the first half of the 1960s, starting with I Left My Heart In San Francisco and continuing through a series of magnificent ballad hits such as I Wanna Be Around and The Good Life, all of which are here, along with some equally impressive album tracks. As a result, this album became Bennett's second gold seller, and it remains the definitive statement of a major pop singer at his zenith."

"Sinatra referred to Tony Bennett as the 'best singer in the business', and after listening to many of Tony's albums it is hard to argue. This 'best of' collection includes some magnificent recordings, including a heart-stopping I Wanna Be Around. It is a time capsule album of Tony's earlier career."

"If you are looking for an introduction to Tony Bennett, or just appreciate his powerful voice and inimitable spirit - the guy always sounds like he's smiling into the microphone, and that happiness comes through - you should enjoy this album."

"Tony had an incredible voice, and the songs featured here are the crème de la crème of pop song writing, including the immortal I Left My Heart In San Francisco."

"Sinatra and other crooners are good, no doubt about it. But those who hear only Bennett's 'raspy' voice and cannot comprehend soul, won't like him. If you appreciate heart and soul, Bennett is for you. If all you want to listen to is polish, maybe you don't quite get what art and music is all about."

No comments:

Post a Comment