Tuesday 22 November 2016

Herman’s Hermits – HERMAN’S HERMITS***

Heartbeat/Travelin’ Light/I’ll Never Dance Again/Walkin’ With My Angel/Dream On/I Wonder/For Your Love/Don’t Try To Hurt Me/Tell Me Baby/I’m Henery The Eighth I Am/The End Of The World/Mrs Brown You’ve Got A Lovely Daughter

Debut self titled British album release from Manchester teen pop idols Herman's Hermits. Its UK album chart placing was considerably lower than what the group were achieving in the States at this time. Includes the two chart topping vaudeville style US hits Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter and I'm Henery The Eighth I Am, neither released as singles in Britain. (UK:16)

"Herman's Hermits were almost as successful as The Beatles and The Rolling Stones in achieving a breakthrough in the USA, with their catalogue of happy, catchy tunes which made their impact at first hearing, aided by the group's attractive close harmony vocal style which was smoother and more compatible than their rivals. This was especially true of their chosen easy listening songs which appealed to a wide audience."

"The Americans went overboard for them, and particularly liked the jokey, British music-hall stuff such as I'm Henery The Eighth I Am and Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter, both No. 1 hits there but largely ignored over here."

"Some Hermits recordings which peddled a caricature of Englishness were released only in the States, like I'm Henery the Eighth I Am. Mickey Most must have realised you can only push a UK audience so far."

"Album tracks would provide a couple of chart toppers which gave Herman a George Formby image. The music hall song from the 1910s - Harry Champion's I'm Henery The Eighth I Am were up there as massive chart hits and as much an influence on anything else at the time. Not however issued as singles in the UK."

"Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter was thought to be a pastiche of Noel Coward. Probably a very smart move to push Herman's Hermits into this area."

No comments:

Post a Comment