Monday 7 November 2016

12 Hits & A Miss – HELEN SHAPIRO*****

Don’t Treat Me Like A Child/I Apologise/Tell Me What He Said/You Don’t Know/Walkin’ Back To Happiness/Kiss & Run/Tiptoe Through The Tulips/Let’s Talk About Love/Little Miss Lonely/I Don’t Care/Keep Away From Other Girls/Cry My Heart Out

12 Hits & A Miss was the first compilation album from Helen Shapiro, the young British teenager with a powerful mature voice. Inexplicably her chart career ended as abruptly as it began.

“Must be my age, I reckon, but I love the hits she performs on this LP. Little Miss Lonely and You Don't Know are my particular favourites. I found some of the more trivial arrangements in songs such as Keep Away From Other Girls annoying but bearable. Helen has a superb voice, a joy to listen to.”

“Helen's phenomenal rise was also her downfall as her audience grew up. Everything about her was iconic, her beehive hairdo, crinoline dresses with cinched waists, and within a short time she was 'so last year'. She was also a victim of very bad management.”

“The gorgeous quality of Helen Shapiro's voice, makes you wonder why her sales faded. She was, of course, the height of unhipness to a teenager in the mid to late sixties. Now I belatedly discover what a great talent she was.”

“A brilliant selection of songs that showcase Helen's vocal range and singing ability so well. Helen Shapiro had one of the finest and unique voices of the 60s.”

“So why did it all go wrong? There are various reasons given. Firstly, the well known quote by Helen herself 'I'm happy singing pop now but one of these days I'd like to make a living singing jazz, blues and that kind of music'. Really, teenagers do not sing the blues. Then there was the appearance on Sunday Night at the London Palladium where she sang standards. But, I believe the real reason for her demise was the rise of The Beatles and all that came with it. Helen suddenly looked dated and passé, she needed to re-invent herself and adapt to change as quickly as possible. But, she didn't and in fact kept releasing records similar to her early hits.”

“This is a fabulous collection. Helen's talent is indisputable and the depth and maturity of her voice and her interpretation of the lyrics at such tender years is a joy to behold. Here is one of the best voices ever to come out of the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment