Tuesday 15 November 2016

The Best Of – SKEETER DAVIS****

The End Of The World/(I Can’t Help You) I’m Falling Too/I’m Saving My Love/I Will/Something Precious/Now I Lay Me Down To Weep/Gonna Get Along Without You Now/He Says The Same Things To Me/I Can’t Stay Mad At You/I Forgot More Than You’ll Ever Know/My Last Date (With You)/Am I That Easy To Forget

Country star Skeeter Davis is best remembered for the magnificent US chart topping pop ballad The End Of The World. Her versatility on a wider range of other material is demonstrated on this collection.

“Skeeter Davis was one of Nashville's early female crossover stars, producing twangy country sides, Brill Building pop productions, and several hits that straddled both worlds.”

“Some of Skeeter Davis's mellow C & W/pop singles are among the best in country music, particularly her cover of Gonna Get Along Without You Now and the jaunty I Can't Stay Mad At You. Davis seemed to gravitate to songs about heartbreak, but she's not a shrieker or a belter. She makes these songs her own, and they're worth hearing again and again.”

“Skeeter Davis has one of the most affecting voices ever recorded. Her two classic pop hits (End Of The World and I Can't Stay Mad At You) are alone worth the price of admission. However, I had no idea how great her other material was until I heard this, which is now one of my favourite LPs. If you are at all interested in classic pop or country, you owe it to yourself to check out this collection.”

“If you enjoy heartbreak and love songs sang in a unique style, you may enjoy this album.”

“Whether she is singing honky-tonk country, Nashville sound, pop ballads or rockabilly, Skeeter consistently pours all her emotion and personality into every song. She delivers convincing, satisfying interpretations of pretty love songs that sometimes sound mawkish when sung by amateurs. This is an excellent album filled with solid songwriting, tasteful instrumentation and Skeeter's superb singing. Skeeter's voice is pure and clear on every number.”

“When people assess sixties country music, Skeeter is usually well down the list, but this is so unfair. Perhaps it is due to her success in the pop charts, but Skeeter recorded many other great songs, as this collection shows.”

No comments:

Post a Comment