Saturday 5 November 2016

Meanwhile Back At The Whisky A Go Go – JOHNNY RIVERS***

Seventh Son/Greenback Dollar/Stop In The Name Of Love/Unsquare Dance/Land Of 1000 Dances/Silver Threads & Golden Needles/Parchman Farm/Break Up/I’ll Cry Instead/Work Song/Stagger Lee/Susie Q

Meanwhile Back At the Whisky A Go Go was Johnny Rivers' follow up to the smash live set from this venue released the previous year. Includes the US No. 7 hit single Seventh Son. (US:21)

"Rivers' first album was also recorded live at the Whisky, so Meanwhile represents something of a homecoming. Since Rivers is essentially an interpretive singer, a live album suits his talents well - it features a set list that isn't plagued by filler and a tight, energetic backing band."

"I bought this album originally back in 1966, mainly because of Seventh Son. The rest of the album was a very pleasant surprise to me, and Parchman Farm, The Work Song, and Greenback Dollar just blew me away. Also, Johnny's version of Suzie Q is my favourite of all the versions I have ever heard. I literally wore the record out."

"I remember listening to this album as a kid. All the great folk songs but sung even better by Johnny Rivers. If you like folk music at all, the classics are here and they are great arrangements."

"It is a surprise when you look at how many US top 40 hits Johnny had yet he is almost unknown in the UK."

No comments:

Post a Comment