Sunday 6 November 2016

On Tour – HERMAN’S HERMITS***

Can’t You Hear My Heartbeat/I’m Henry VIII I Am/The End Of The World/For Your Love/I Gotta Dream On/Don’t Try To Hurt Me/Silhouettes/Heartbeat/I’ll Never Dance Again/Tell Me Baby/Travelling Light

Manchester pop group Herman's Hermits second US album On Tour includes the chart topping US hit single I'm Henry VIII I Am, the US No. 2 Can't You Hear My Heartbeat and Silhouettes, No. 3 in the UK and No. 5 in the States. Title misleading as this is not a live album. At this time, amongst British Invasion groups, Herman's Hermits were second only to The Beatles in popularity across the States. (US:2)

"Most people forget just how dominant Herman's Hermits were back in 1965. For the better part of that year the group always seemed to have multiple tunes riding high on the Billboard Hot 100."

"Hen-e-ry the 8th I am - boy, what a great sing-a-long. Not until I was older did I realize that it was a cockney song well-known and well-beloved in my cousin's London district. I knew and loved the Herman version."

"It's hard to put Herman's Hermits in a class with The Beatles, The Kinks, The Who, and The Rolling Stones, but it's almost impossible not to sing along with every song. Yes, they didn't write any of their own material, but they interpret each song in their own distinct sound. And their sound consists of the perfect three minute song."

"Led by the fresh faced, photogenic, clean-cut and boyish Peter Noone, the band was to conquer America with their uptempo, British music hall influenced, vaudevillian pop. They took America by storm."

"Herman's Hermits were nearly as successful as The Beatles and The Stones in the sixties. They had a knack for hummable, melodic tunes. What set them apart, was the lovely harmony vocals and the British accent; unlike most, they never affected an American or even mid-Atlantic accent in their catchy music."

"I suppose they were considered a teenybop band and therefore weren't taken as seriously as some of their contemporaries, but time has been kind to their music - compared to a lot of today's chart stuff. This is a classic, timeless sound. They will appeal to everyone who loves clever, tuneful pop performed with feeling and intelligence."

No comments:

Post a Comment