Sunday 20 November 2016

Gentle Is My Love – NANCY WILSON****

Who Can I Turn To/There Will Never Be Another You/If Love Is Good To Me/My One & Only Love/Funnier Than Funny/More/Gentle Is My Love/At Long Last Love/Time After Time/If Ever I Would Leave You/When He Makes Music

Smooth jazz vocalist Nancy Wilson reached the US album chart top twenty for the second time in 1965 with Gentle Is My Love, a collection of string laden ballads. (US:20)

"I know some will say this album is more pop than jazz but that really is the dual legacy of Nancy Wilson. I enjoy all her recordings in both styles."

"I found Gentle Is My Love on used vinyl in the village of Manhattan back in the early 90s and fell in love with it. I played it incessantly."

"Gentle Is My Love was an album that was an absolutely satin-and-sheet listening experience, Nancy leaving no doubt, as if there were any, that she was phenomenally talented."

"Gentle Is My Love has brilliance, genius, and ultimately was one of the most heartfelt of her albums. Her stature comes from her ability to be both accessible and remote. She respected her audience but did exactly as she pleased."

"I love Gentle Is My Love, its very classy and jazzy, a milder softer Nancy. My favourites are Who Can I Turn To, Gentle Is My Love and If Ever I Would Leave You. The others are good too."

"Gentle Is My Love is a real treat for me. Recorded within one week (yes, they did that in those days) this is a beautiful collection of string laden dreamy ballads, in the Nat King Cole vein. Her rendition of More is the most beautiful I've heard."

No comments:

Post a Comment