Wednesday 24 August 2016

The Door Is Still Open To My Heart – DEAN MARTIN***

The Door Is Still Open To My Heart/We’ll Sing In The Sunshine/I’m Gonna Change Everything/The Middle Of The Night Is My Cryin’ Time/Every Minute Every Hour/Clinging Vine/In The Misty Moonlight/Always Together/My Sugar’s Gone/You’re Nobody ‘Til Somebody Loves You/Take Me/So Long Baby

Crooner Dean Martin was on a roll in 1964 as he scored his third US top twenty album hit with The Door Is Still Open To My Heart. Unfortunately, it contains some recycled tracks from earlier albums. The title song was a No. 6 US hit single. (US:9)

"The Door comes from a period when Reprise was still scrambling to keep up with the demand for Martin product deriving from his comeback hit, Everybody Loves Somebody. The album is a catchall, even containing some songs recycled from Dean 'Tex' Martin Rides Again."

"The Door Is Still Open finds Dean making wonderful music on the title track, not to mention his take on a popular song of the day, We'll Sing In The Sunshine which seems tailor made to fit his easy swingin' approach. The 'sing-a-long' motif behind the country-tinged Clinging Vine is classic Dean; as is the tender yet driving ballad Always Together."

"The Door Is Still Open To My Heart has a few hits and a lot of fillers, and a few songs from the country albums of 1963. The pleasant surprise is We'll Sing In The Sunshine."

"This album is one of Dino's very best at Reprise, perhaps even of his entire career. Dean sings each and every song in his own unmistakable style and makes you feel that you've never heard them before he crooned them. Not a weak track anywhere on the album. If you're new to Dino, this is the best place to start your collection."

"This is Dean doing what he does best, he takes other artist's songs and stamps his own interpretation on them, as in I'm Gonna Change Everything, Clingin' Vine. I recommend this item without hesitation."

"The Door is one of Dean Martin's best songs. I love the lyrics and singers. It is the perfect arrangement."

1 comment:

  1. The very first Dean Martin vinyl I ever bought! It still remains my all-time favorite Dean Martin album -- some 50 years later.

    ReplyDelete