Thursday 4 August 2016

How Glad I Am – NANCY WILSON****

How Glad I Am/The Grass Is Greener/The Boy From Ipanema/The Show Goes On/Don’t Rain On My Parade/ Never Less Than Yesterday/I Wanna Be With You/Its Time To Go/People/West Coast Blues/Quiet Nights

Nancy Wilson third 1964 hit album How Glad I Am was rush released to capitalize on the success of the title track, a No. 11 US hit single and winner of a Grammy award. (US:17)

"I was in a state of bliss from the minute How Glad I Am started. It sounded just like it did the first time I heard it, the plunk of the beat, the incredible bass, the tinkle of the piano and of course, the incredible vocals of Nancy Wilson. Another revelation, was the song Never Less Than Yesterday. I could hear shades of Dinah Washington in Nancy's voice yet it's all Nancy Wilson magic. Her vocals really soar on this particular track. I was blown away."

"All vintage Nancy. Take it from a Nancy Wilson fan, and I am definitely one, you won't be disappointed at all."

"How Glad I Am is unquestionably one of Nancy Wilson's greatest artistic achievements, not to mention its commercial success after the title song won Nancy a Grammy award."

"Nancy Wilson is the ultimate songstress. The Nancy in this album is at the height of her vocal development. The orchestral arrangements are simply the best."

"I well remember when the How Glad I Am album came along after being patched together from this and from that, as quickly as possible to capitalize on the single hit. I was impressed how Capitol had managed to make a cohesive album out of uncohesive music. I was even more impressed that Nancy Wilson could sing any kind of song, with any kind of musical accompaniment, and in any style and make it special every time."

"Nancy Wilson had been creating some great jazz for Capitol records, Then out of the blue came the pop single How Glad I Am, for which she won a Grammy award in 1964, on the back of which an album of the same title was rush released. Considering it is a collection from more than one recording session it makes a superb collection. Hit songs of the day are given the beautiful Wilson treatment."

No comments:

Post a Comment