Monday 15 August 2016

My Fair Lady – SOUNDTRACK*****

Overture/Why Can’t The English/Wouldn’t It Be Loverly/I’m Just An Ordinary Man/With A Little Bit Of Luck/Just You Wait/The Rain In Spain/I Could Have Danced All Night/Ascot Gavotte/On The Street Where You Live/You Did It/Show Me/Get Me To The Church On Time/A Hymn To Him/Without You/I’ve Grown Accustomed To Her Face

The musical My Fair Lady was transferred to the screen from the hugely successful Broadway stage show. The film starred Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn, the vocals for the latter being dubbed by Marni Nixon. Music by Frederick Loewe, lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner. (US:4 UK:9)

"My Fair Lady is one of the best musicals ever made. This soundtrack album of songs and music from the picture is a must have for fans of the great musicals."

"This is still my favourite version. I think that Marni Nixon is a wonderful singer - and a bit underrated."

"All the songs here are pure magic, there isn't a clunker in the bunch and that's saying something considering the record contains 16 songs, most of them standards. Marni Nixon, one of the most underrated and brilliant sopranos of our time, brings her unique personality to the songs, She has a focussed, controlled electricity to her singing that sets her apart."

"My personal opinion on this album is that it's 'loverly'. The music is absolutely wonderful. I think that you would have to be crazy not to like it. I mean, I Could've Danced All Night is beautiful, Get Me To The Church On Time is slightly humorous, and very cheerful, and there isn't a single song that's irritating."

"The soundtrack, first and foremost, is one of the most beautifully composed collections of music of all time. It's classical yet fresh. The songs are sung with passion and are true to the play, but life is breathed into them in most places with the spectacular and versatile range Marni Nixon was famous for."

"Two reasons to buy this version Marni Nixon and Rex Harrison. Marni may be the most under-appreciated vocalist of the 20th century. And Rex Harrison, and only Rex Harrison, knows how to sing the greatest love song ever written for a man, I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face."

No comments:

Post a Comment