Monday 15 August 2016

Mary Poppins – SOUNDTRACK*****

Overture/Sister Suffragette/The Life I Lead/The Perfect Nanny/A Spoonful Of Sugar/Pavement Artist/Jolly Holiday/Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious/Stay Awake/I Love To Laugh/A British Bank(The Life I Lead)/Feed The Birds (Tuppence A Bag)/Fidelity Fiduciary Bank/Chim Chim Cher-Ee/Step In Time/A Man Has His Dreams/Let’s Go Fly A Kite

The soundtrack album Mary Poppins topped the US album chart during its more than two years run. The Walt Disney film, starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, about a nanny with magical powers, is regarded by many as the best ever musical film for children. Scored by Richard and Robert Sherman. (US:1 UK:2)

"It's no stretch to call the Mary Poppins score the Shermans' most memorable of their 40-plus-year association with Disney. Boasting at least three bona fide classics A Spoonful of Sugar; the Oscar winner, Chim Chim Cher-ee, the Gilbert and Sullivan-esque romp, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, and at least as many other contenders, the Shermans' score held the technical tour de force together while giving it a sense of ageless wonder to match the powers of its titular magical nanny."

"These songs are silly, deliciously without any message. A Spoonful of Sugar is as meaningless as it is catchy. Don't be embarrassed after a few listens, that you, an adult, are caught up in public whistling Chim Chim Cher-ee. The music seems a million miles away from the canned pop tunes Disney cranks out now."

"I love this album. It is a collection of masterpieces by the Sherman brothers. The music is fun to dance to and is a great way to brighten up your day. I love listening to Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke sing their hearts out. It is fun for the whole family whether you are a baby, a teen, an adult or a senior."

"This is such a great soundtrack. It has all my absolute favourite songs on it. I think I've watched and listened to the movie and the soundtrack so much now that I think I know Mary Poppins all by heart. An absolutely must have for Julie Andrews fans, Disney fans, or just anyone who needs a lift."

"Mary Poppins has always been one of my favourite movies. However, I never fully appreciated the high quality of the score until I heard the soundtrack. Every song contributes to the story yet is memorable in its own right."

No comments:

Post a Comment