Wednesday 17 August 2016

Pops Goes The Trumpet – AL HIRT & THE BOSTON POPS ORCHESTRA****

La Virgen De La Macarena/Eili Eili/Pavanne/Carnival Of Venice/A Trumpeter’s Lullaby/The Toy Trumpet/Bugler’s Holiday/Trumpet Concerto/The Lost Chord/Java

Pops Goes the Trumpet was a unique collaboration between trumpeter Al Hirt and the Boston Pops Orchestra led by Arthur Fielder. Features the Haydn Trumpet Solo. (US:18)

"Al was actually a classically trained trumpeter and also one of the top army bandsmen of his era. Many will argue that he pales alongside Wynton, Rolf, Maurice etc but he sounded pretty good to me doing the Haydn Concerto on this album."

"This was the first time I heard Leroy Anderson's Bugler's Holiday. This little 2:30 study in perpetual motion really hooked me and I think the grooves in the vinyl on my first Pops were worn out by the time I moved out of the house."

"The single most powerful cut to me was, and still is The Lost Chord. The last sixteen bars of both Al and the Pops Orchestra at full throttle on this piece still brings shivers to me. This was a favourite recording from 'back when', with a classic trumpet repertoire and sweet playing."

"Al's music is great. Whenever I start taking the trumpet too seriously, I always listen to Al so that I can hear how much fun it is supposed to be."

"I grew up listening to Al Hirt. He was, in my opinion the best. He played things that seemed to be unplayable. His Dixieland stuff was amazing; he played a ballad with more feeling than anyone I have ever heard. Nobody played behind a vocalist or melody better than Al Hirt. His Pops Goes The Trumpet album with Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops is still my favourite album. Check out Eili Eili, that will make you cry. Never sleep on Al Hirt."

"This album is a superb example of contemporary (of the time) artists collaborating with orchestra. It was the genesis of my interest in classical music that continues to this day."

No comments:

Post a Comment