Tuesday 9 August 2016

The Amazing – TIMI YURO****

(I’m Afraid) The Masquerade Is Over/All I Need Is You/I Love My Man/I Didn’t Know What Time It Was/I Got It Bad (And That Ain’t Good)/If/Maybe You’ll Be There/I Can Dream Can’t I/Johnny/There Must Be A Way/My Foolish Heart/I’m Still Around

On The Amazing Timi Yuro the powerful yet under-rated singer is teamed up with a large orchestra, supported by inventive arrangements courtesy of Quincy Jones.

“This is very different from all her other albums recorded with a lush orchestra, Timi sings several standards, her voice as always is excellent, but it may be the least commercial album she ever recorded.”

“The original LP benefited from inventive arrangements, and overall great song selection and recording. You never hear a singer soar with such intuitive nuance and soul as you will on The Amazing Timi Yuro. I think it's her finest work.”

“Her voice is sheer perfection, and Timi wrings every ounce of emotion she has on each one. My own personal favourite is All I Need Is You, but they are all gems. She was a terrific singer. I think she suffered from very bad promotion and management, as she should have been a huge star.”

"This is full of some of the most extraordinary renditions of songs I have ever heard. Timi belts her songs in a lower range and she sings with total sincerity and emotion. She really puts her all into everything song she sings. Every song is wonderful, Timi really was 'soul'. Many of her contemporaries were much into technique, but Timi specialized in capturing the emotion and soul of a song.”

“Some say this was her weakest album and sales were not great, but they never were with any of her albums, and it is just beyond me why she was not a million seller with every album. Virtually no bad tracks, the most committed emotional singing, I liked the fuller orchestral sound as a change.”

“Timi proved she could handle these sophisticated arrangements without her vocals being lost behind the huge orchestra. This was the classiest album Timi ever recorded. Timi is a stunning once in a lifetime soulful singer, and when she went into the studio and laid down these awesome tracks with Quincy Jones for this sublime LP, the legendary singer hit extraordinary new heights.”

No comments:

Post a Comment