Tuesday 30 August 2016

I’m Gonna Be Strong – GENE PITNEY****

I’m Gonna Be Strong/Walk/I Love You More Today/Who Needs It/Follow The Sun/Lips Are Redder On You/It Hurts To Be In Love/The Last Two People On Earth/That Girl Belongs To Yesterday/E Se Domani/Hawaii/I’m Gonna Find Myself A Girl

Powerful American pop vocalist Gene Pitney enjoyed another UK album chart hit with I'm Gonna Be Strong. The rousing title track was a No. 2 hit single in the UK and No. 9 in the States. Also contains the top ten hits It Hurts To Be In Love and That Girl Belongs To Yesterday. Album released as It Hurts To Be In Love in US. (US:42 UK:15)

"Pitney was a soulful and passionate singer; even the songs I don't particularly like are still listenable because of his voice."

"An underrated artist and wonderful performer to say the least. He deserves all the credit other artists of his time got and more."

"How many times can this gifted songwriter and performer be overlooked."

"I realize that he was one of the giants of his era, creating unforgettable musical novellas every bit as dramatic and powerful as the now more celebrated Roy Orbison. He was more than a teen idol - he was an accomplished storyteller, with a beautiful voice, who seemingly effortlessly sang one memorable melody after another."

"Only one word for this gentleman, his work and that voice - incomparable. Nobody like him before or since. Gene, you're one of a kind. Powerful, heart-rending - simply great."

"Anyone with a voice that great can be confident. I'm confident he had more talent in his little toe than today's singers have in their entire body."

"Gene's version of I’m Gonna Be Strong is the best that ever was. Still gives me goose bumps after all these years. The man was in a league of his own."

"This man has one of, if not the best, voice range of any male singer I have ever listened to. His songs are timeless. If we could only go back to the sixties, was that an era - the kids today do not know what they missed

No comments:

Post a Comment