Friday 27 January 2017

Hold On! – HERMAN’S HERMITS***

Hold On/The George & The Dragon/Got A Feeling/Wild Love/Leaning On A Lamppost/Where Were You When I Needed You/All The Things I Do For You Baby/Gotta Get Away/Make Me Happy/A Must To Avoid

Hold On! was the first film release showcasing the immensely popular British invasion pop group Herman's Hermits. Includes the top ten hit A Must To Avoid. Film also stars Shelley Fabares. (US:14)

"More than another Herman's Hermits album with two hit songs, Leaning On A Lamp Post and A Must To Avoid, this MGM soundtrack features the original version of Where Were You When I Needed You. This version, like everything here, sounds very British Invasion, Mickey Most's production emulating early Beatles."

"This is the West Coast meeting the UK in a very pleasant way, and the combination is impressive. A short but fun disc, and essential for the fans of Peter Noone."

"Peter Noone injects more of that pop into Where Were You When I Needed You, the thin guitar and boisterous backing vocals making for a great party cut." ,p> "Combines charming hit singles, interesting explorations of folk-rock, good album tracks, and yes, some filler."

"Hold On spun off two hit singles, the music-hall styled Leaning On A Lamp Post and the folk-rock A Must To Avoid. The band cuts an interesting groove that marries British Invasion beat music and West Coast folk-rock."

"I never saw this movie, but there are so many good songs in the soundtrack it feels like I should have seen it – A Must To Avoid is probably my favourite of them."

"I've heard so many derogatory comments citing the Hermits as one of the lesser lights of the British Invasion, but the group (or their producers - I'm not sure who the responsible parties are) had a knack for finding excellent tunes. They were just as essential as any other Brit Invasion group and many have agreed with me on this."

No comments:

Post a Comment