Thursday 5 January 2017

Here I Am – DIONNE WARWICK****

In Between The Heartaches/Here I Am/If I Ever Make You Cry/Lookin’ With My Eyes/Once In A Lifetime/This Little Light/Don’t Go Breaking My Heart/Window Wishing/Long Day Short Night/Are You There (With Another Girl)/How Can I Hurt You/I Love You Porgy

Here I Am features several lesser known Bacharach and David tracks. Dionne Warwick was the house singer for this successful musical partnership covering most of their sixties output. (US:45)

Here I Am is one of my favourites of her work, finding her moving gradually into her sophisticated pop phase. There are lots of ballads, gentle bossa nova ditties and even a gospel-style track. The lyrics are clever, with a dark underside that belies the sunny melodies. Dionne finds the heart of the lyrics, elevating the proceedings to art.”

“Dionne Warwick possessed one of the most beautiful pop voices of all time. Her soft soprano voice with the lilts and turns just drew me in like a bee to a blossom. Her voice was like a real breath of difference in a whole world of sameness. She is versatile and skilled as an interpreter of the beautiful Hal David lyrics, and the perfect match for the sometimes complicated melodies of Bacharach.”

“When historians look back at the career of Dionne Warwick they will write that she was the cross between the legendary jazz ladies of yore and the pop/R & B divas of today. She helped change the way we view music and constructed the female vocal bridge into the 60s and beyond. Such singers brought their distinctive style to new recordings as well as those they covered. Dionne with her beautiful tenor, class, diction and coolness, had a great impact upon many singers for which she is not given credit.”

“This beautiful album is the lady at her best and demonstrates her vocal talent and interpretive abilities. The album is gorgeously orchestrated and produced with Here I Am and Are You There With Another Girl being wonderful examples of the Warwick magic. A must have for the collector.”

“The coming together of the Bacharach-David team and their chanteuse, Dionne Warwick, was one of the most fortuitous events of the sixties. This album is one of her lesser known, yet it is one of the finest albums they ever did together. This is top shelf Bacharach, and Dionne is at the peak of her form.”

No comments:

Post a Comment