Monday 4 January 2016

Greatest Hits – RAY CHARLES*****

Them That Got/Georgia On My Mind/Unchain My Heart/I’m Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town/The Danger Zone/I’ve Got News For You/Hit The Road Jack/Ruby/I Wonder/Sticks & Stones/But On The Other Hand Baby/ One Mint Julep

This compilation covers the Ray Charles ABC-Paramount singles released during 1960-61, including the two US chart toppers Hit The Road Jack and Georgia On My Mind. (US:5 UK:16)

“You can hear Charles' develop his seminal brand of soul from roots in gospel, blues, R & B and jazz. ABC freed Charles to explore more broadly than had Atlantic, bringing in Latin rhythms, singing the works of country and Tin Pan Alley songwriters, adding strings, and alternating between the sassy call-and-response of The Raelets and a smooth backing chorus.”

“I really love his classic gems that helped shape the essence of what R & B is like today. I think this is a very strong album that is sure to tell you that Georgia will always be on your mind, and that you heart will never be un-chained to the soul of life that Ray Charles brought to the music industry.”

“He is a one-of-a-kind musician with a distinctive sound of his own. Very enjoyable.”

“Ray Charles was absolutely phenomenal. Even though he had a chequered past he overcame the obstacles to become a hugely successful artist. I will always have great respect for the memories he gave us.”

“This collection of songs includes a lot of his genuine standards including Hit The Road Jack!, the elegant and sombre Georgia On My Mind, as well as Unchain My Heart.”

No comments:

Post a Comment