Monday 18 January 2016

32 Minutes & 17 Seconds – CLIFF RICHARD***

It’ll Be Me/So I’ve Been Told/How Long Is Forever/I’m Walkin’ The Blues/Turn Around/Blueberry Hill/Let’s Make A Memory/When My Dream Boat Comes Home/I’m On My Way/Spanish Harlem/You Don’t Know/ Falling In Love With Love/Who Are We To Say/I Wake Up Cryin

32 Minutes 17 Seconds was a seriously uninspired title for this Cliff Richard album that is heavily reliant on covers of sometimes unsuitable material. Includes the UK No. 2 hit single It’ll Be Me. (UK:3)

"32 Minutes And 17 Seconds starts off with a great version of Jerry Lee Lewis' It'll Be Me, Cliff's last rock 'n' roll single. Other than that, the rest of the album is mediumpaced or ballads. A major disappointment. Just too downbeat, Cliff.”

“His interpretations are good enough but nothing beats the originals and his own contribution in this era was considerable.”

“This album has many good songs on it. A lot of them are cover versions of songs that I didn't like at first, but Cliff’s version are more modern in a 60s kind of way.”

“The search for direction is undoubtedly still weighing on Cliff's mind. That said, an excellent version of skiffle king Chas McDevitt’s How Long Is Forever ranks among his strongest ballad performances, while the hit It'll Be Me is more or less peerless. Most of all, though, this album stands as a reminder of why the Merseybeat explosion was so important. Without it, all British pop might have continued to sound like this.”

“Played my LP 32 Minutes & 17 Seconds vinyl to scratches when I was a teen. Great album with beautiful songs, and I’m On My Way is one of them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment