Saturday 23 January 2016

At Carnegie Hall – TONY BENNETT*****

Lullaby Of Broadway/Just In Time/All The Things You Are/Stranger In Paradise/Our Love Is Here To Stay/Climb Ev’ry Mountain/Ol’ Man River/It Amazes Me/Firefly/I Left My Heart In San Francisco/How About You/April In Paris/(In My) Solitude/I’m Just A Lucky So & So/Always/Anything Goes/Blue Velvet/Rags To Riches/Because Of You/What Good Does It Do/Lost In The Stars/One For My Baby/Lazy Afternoon/Sing You Sinners/Love Look Away/Sometimes I’m Happy (Sometimes I’m Blue)/My Heart Tells Me/De Glory Road

At Carnegie Hall was an acclaimed double live album recorded in June 1962 featuring many of Tony Bennett’s best known songs, showcasing the singer at his finest. (US:37)

“They must have picked him up off the floor that night, as his energy is boundless, his musicianship tremendous, as is his personality. Live albums are always the true test of any artist, no matter what the genre. It's a joy to hear a sublime singer, without over dubs or studio help.”

“You are reminded time and again how Tony picks the very best songs to sing. There are a lot of gems here and I would classify this concert as one of the best live recordings of all time. It just does not get much better than pure Bennett at his peak. The live concert brings out the best in him. This is the one indispensable Tony Bennett LP.”

“This two disc set showcases Tony Bennett at his best. He was, and still is, a fabulous singer. In many ways, he was more compelling in a concert setting than in the studio. On this night at Carnegie Hall in 1962, the acoustics must have been perfect. His voice, though always great, sounded extra special. I'm fortunate to have this as part of my eclectic collection.”

“The song selections and arrangements are terrific and Tony's voice shines throughout. This LP covers almost all of Tony's great hits from that era and has the added benefit of spontaneity found in a live performance. Believe me these songs swing. There are a lot of uptempo arrangements to so many great songs. Tony's voice and phrasing are uniquely different from his peers and that's what makes this album such a gem.”

"He is in great voice, and sings an astonishing number of songs. My only complaint is that he closes the show with a dreadful song called De Glory Road that goes on for over eight minutes. Aside from that, this is a wonderful show with Tony which any fan of real music will appreciate.”

No comments:

Post a Comment