Tuesday 19 January 2016

A Taste Of Honey – MARTIN DENNY****

A Taste Of Honey/I’m In A Dancing Mood/Black Orchid/Take Five/Stranger On The Shore/Walk On The Wild Side/Exodus/A-Me-Ri-Ca/Route 66/Clair De Lune/Violetta/The Wild One

Arranger and pianist Martin Denny was one of a select band of performers specializing in exotica lounge music during the late 1950s and early 1960s. A Taste Of Honey was one of his most successful. (US:6)

“I love the version of A Taste Of Honey on here, the piano mixed with the exotic instruments add flavour, and colour to this jazzy little number. Actually the jazzy touches can be found throughout this release, sure he invited the bongo player too (so the island touches are still there), but this is a little more streamlined than some of his other work I've heard.”

“This is perfect cocktail or lounge music, very clean, bright and easy going with enough interesting touches to make sure you know you aren't listening to something boring. Denny's versions are short, concise and punchy just the way they should be.”

“I know that Denny's small niche is now with the kitsch-meisters who dig his exotica stuff, but I like this because it still serves its original purpose today - mellow music that doesn't fall into clichés or banality. This is a rare achievement, not necessarily exotic, just rare.”

“I invite you to listen to the marvellous piano playing and the tight arrangements. Listen to the band and the fun that emanates from this music. This was 'chill' before chill was known to be cool.”

“Denny is stunningly sharp on the ivories, his classical piano training is apparent. The musicianship is original and the professional abilities are unmatched. I remember it being described as 'visual sound' and this becomes stunningly apparent. This music has elements of jazz, lounge and exotica. I imagined myself stepping into the lobby of a fine hotel bar back in the day.”

“This was my first taste of cool jazz. I especially liked his version of Route 66. One of many contemporary artists whose music can be relaxing for anyone who ever had a bad day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment