Sunday 24 January 2016

Golden Greats – BOBBY VEE*****

Take Good Care Of My Baby/Devil Or Angel/Punish Her/Suzie Baby/Walkin’ With My Angel/Stayin’ In/ Run To Him/Rubber Ball/Please Don’t Ask About Barbara/How Many Tears/Everyday/Sharing You/One Last Kiss/More Than I Can Say/Someday

This fine collection of Bobby Vee's highly melodic hits covers the period until the end of 1962 and thus omits some later releases available on more recent compilations. These are masterful recordings from a shamefully underrated performer. (US:24 UK:10)

"Every track here earned its place on the album."

"Vee's records always had the benefit of some very polished production, featuring highly commercial string arrangements and tasteful rhythm guitar, piano and female vocal backings."

"The songs are catchy, easy on the ear, and tailor-made for dancers. To my ears they haven't dated at all."

"Bobby Vee is often dismissed as part of the teen idol wave of the early 60s but he actually is pretty darn good, and had a string of quality hits."

"I'm 13 and I absolutely love this kind of music. It seems like a different world, a better world."

"Clean cut, well dressed, great voice - what more could you want?" "What a golden era of music."

"It gives me a memory of sweets and milk shake, soft pink cardigans and candy frost lipstick, ice blue jeans and the boy next door."

"One of the greatest records of the best time in pop music history .... the late 50s, early 60s."

"I still love his music as much now, it really takes me back to those good times when I thought the world was a much different place."

No comments:

Post a Comment