Friday 22 September 2017

Supernatural Fairy Tales – ART***

I Think I’m Going Weird/What’s That Sound/African Thing/Room With A View/Flying Anchors/Supernatural Fairy Tale/Love Is Real/Come On Up/Brothers Dads & Mothers/Talkin’ To Myself/Alive Not Dead/Rome Take Away Three

Supernatural Fairy Tales was the only album release from the Carlisle based psychedelic group Art. They had previously been known as The VIPs and would later change their name again to the much better known Spooky Tooth.

“This is Spooky Tooth without Gary Wright and comes from 1967 - its not all that reminiscent of the later group. Supernatural Fairy Tales is a fine song, and some of the other cuts are pretty good too. This has some psychedelia, hard rock, soul and pop on it.”

“This is a top notch psych album. Not many albums can send my mind adrift to another dimension but this album is definitely one. The song Love Is Real is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard with very touching lyrics. Everyone needs to listen to this album if they love psychedelic music.”

“Art was Spooky Tooth back in 1967 before Gary Wright joined them. I have grown to really love this album. When I first heard it, I didn't see what the big deal was. After a few listens, however, I grew to really appreciate it. I think I like this better than most of the Spooky Tooth albums. It's quite heavy in places, with some very cool guitar riffs and keyboard lines, psychedelic, occasionally kind of mellow and a bit soulful.”

“The riffs and lyrics to some of the songs would make you think this was Black Sabbath in 1967 trying to be psychedelic. It is a decent effort of dark psych with some bluesy overtones.”

Supernatural Fairy Tales was a strange hodgepodge of psychedelic covers and numerous self penned originals. The problem was that despite being more than competent musicians, they had to rely on the vocals of Mike Harrison, whose soulful voice was strong but not terribly flexible. Thus, the songs on the album had a sameness about them that seemed to doom the band to permanent obscurity.”

“A tasty cake of psychedelic rock with some really good highlights but also some average moments. I consider this as a classic album of the psychedelic era but it doesn’t rock me as much as I wish it would."

No comments:

Post a Comment