Tuesday 12 September 2017

Feel Like I’m Fixin’ To Die – COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH*****

The Fish Cheer & I Feel Like I’m Fixin’ To Die Rag/Who Am I/Pat’s Song/Rock Coast Blues/Magoo/Janis/ Thought Dream/Thursday/Eastern Jam/Colours For Susan

The second album from Country Joe & The Fish, I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die, is seeped in psychedelia. Future releases would fail to live up to the creativity of the band's first two albums. (US:67)

"If psychedelic means highly innovative, ethereal music in which technical skill is secondary to the creation of pure 'mood and feel' then virtually all of the tracks on this album qualify as winners."

"This is a good collection of some of the classics that Country Joe & The Fish made in the 1960s, and the title song is as relevant in our own warmongering era as it was during Vietnam. The material spans a wide range from the sharp satire in the title track to surprisingly tender songs. These are songs that people should be listening to - and singing - now."

"Their first album is rated higher, and maybe there are better songs on the first one, but the music, and the light breeze of the meandering notes creates a far superior experience than their debut. I find it hard to believe that the final track is almost six minutes, considering how absurdly minimal it is and how easily I make my way through it almost every time I listen to the album."

"One important characteristic of understanding this type of music is that in order to appreciate it, you have to really listen to it. Not as background or just for dancing. This was one of the big changes of the time. Instead of just dancing to music, you sat and listened to it, gathering the beauty, feelings and ideas inherent in the music."

"I had played the grooves out of the first Fish album and this one was no different. I really was surprised at the way that this captures the feel and mood of that era. A great listening experience. Forget about being analytical or critical of the level of guitar work or instrumental expertise. Just realize that it was all about painting pictures, creating a feeling, a mood and sometimes relating a message."

No comments:

Post a Comment