Saturday 1 April 2017

Spinout – ELVIS PRESLEY***

Stop Look & Listen/Adam & Evil/All That I Am/Never Say Yes/Am I Ready/Beach Shack/Spinout/Smorgasbord/ I’ll Be Back/Tomorrow Is A Long Time/Down In The Alley/I’ll Remember You

Final Elvis soundtrack LP to make the top twenty album charts was Spinout which contains the UK No. 18 hit All That I Am. Released as California Holiday in Britain. However, there would be nine more Elvis movies until 1969 when this sub-genre finally faded away. (US:18 UK:17)

"In 1966, Presley's career was heading towards its nadir. But, a full blown artistic and commercial resurrection was only two years away and you can hear a hint of it's beginnings on the best tracks here."

"Despite what the critics say, there were groovy tunes even on Presley's most dismissible '60s fluff pieces, and this package has plenty of them. Along with some things I wish I'd never heard."

"On Spinout the title track is a mild rocker, along with Adam & Evil and Stop Look & Listen. The ballads Am I Ready and All That I Am are both very good, but after that you have trouble finding a decent song."

"What Spinout does have is more fun, spirit, vibe and yes, rock and roll, to be found on any Elvis soundtrack record since the 1950s. Elvis sounds like he's having fun, and the band does too."

"This is a great album, a wonderful listening experience from the Spinout soundtrack with fresh and memorable tunes. The title song itself stands as a solid rocker."

"The single from the album was Spinout with All That I Am on the b-side. Both of these songs are good, but it was one of Presley's least successful singles. Nine songs aren't enough for an LP, so the original album included the non-soundtrack 'bonus songs' Tomorrow Is A Long Time, Down In The Alley and I'll Remember You. These are great songs which are far superior to anything from the movie."

No comments:

Post a Comment