Wednesday 12 April 2017

Outward Bound – TOM PAXTON****

Leaving London/Don’t You Let Nobody Turn You ‘Round/My Son John/The King Of My Backyard/One Time & One Time Only/Is This Any Way To Run An Airline/All The Way Home/I Followed Her Into The West/This World Goes Round & Round/Talking Pop Art/When You Get Your Ticket/I Believe I Do/Outward Bound

Outward Bound was the third album from respected folk singer songwriter Tom Paxton. Although it does not include any of his best known songs it is considered to be one of his finest LPs.

“This album retains the sound of the early-60s folk boom; it's just acoustic guitar (plus a little banjo), bass, and Tom Paxton's clear, earnest vocals. The material, all written by Paxton, is high quality overall, although it doesn't include any of his classics. My favourites are My Son John, a poignant sketch of how war scars its survivors; The King Of My Backyard a humorous dog song; Is This Any Way To Run An Airline? a jaunty ragtime ditty about air travel woes that still rings true today. I Followed Her Into The West is a touching ballad and I Believe I Do showcases Paxton's trademark sardonic humour.”

“Some great music from one of the best singer songwriters to come out of the 60s folk revival. As good as most of his stuff is, I always like his humour best. Talkin' Pop Art is my favourite here.”

Outward Bound appeared when the folk revival was on its last legs, and it sounds like it. Paxton was clearly trying to settle on a new style here, making for a somewhat eclectic collection - but a very innovative one. My Son John is not only amazingly prophetic; it was a brave statement to make in 1966 and it's still pretty unique in the canon of Vietnam songs. Talking Pop Art and especially Is This Any Way To Run An Airline? are among the best of his biting satires. There is also plenty of what made his first two albums great: Leaving London and One Time & One Time Only are great love songs. Don't You Let Nobody Turn You 'Round may have missed the golden era of protest songs, but it's one of his best nonetheless.”

“This album from early in his career is a compelling look at an important figure in American music. The songs range from introspective to anthemic. He is in excellent voice. The production is sterling, and instrumentation superb, from soft guitars to orchestra. Tom Paxton has written songs that will be sung for ages. It had the style and song mix that listeners had come to expect. What the album does not have are compositions on the level of his best early songs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment