Wednesday 22 February 2017

Look To The Rainbow – ASTRUD GILBERTO****

Berimbou/Once Upon A Summertime/Felicidade/I Will Wait For You/Frevo/Maria Quiet/Look To The Rainbow/ Bim Bom/Lugar Bonito/El Preciso Aprender A Ser So/She’s A Carioca

In Look To The Rainbow Astrud Gilberto departs a little from her usual bossa nova style to reveal a mellower jazzier side. She sings in both Portuguese and English.

“This album is my favourite of Astrud's, the songs she does in Portuguese are magical. I don't mind the English ones, easier on the ears than some others I've heard. I like Astrud's voice, if you've never heard her, she's got an unusual voice.”

“I would recommend this over any other Astrud solo album, both for music quality and song selection. If you're looking for sultry vocals over a light bossa nova background, check this out, it’s really rather charming.”

“A little different from her more straight up bossa nova albums, here she gets to try some jazzy stylings, in the incomparable hands of the Gil Evans Orchestra. Definitely more mellow than usual, Gil intentionally takes care not to overwhelm her willowy voice, though still makes things interesting at every turn. For her part, Astrud's voice simply flows like honey over the music, making for a very intimate time for all.”

“I'm crazy about bossa nova, and like many lovers, I can't really get into Astrud Gilberto's voice. When she sings in Portuguese it's alright, but hearing her in English just annoys me and brings out the fact that she really can't sing all that well.”

“I'm not sure whether or not I'm alone here but when she sings in English it is just so much more beautiful. Maybe it's the accent and slight change of word pronunciation, who knows. Overall this album remains smooth and easy.”

“The first time I heard this album, I was absolutely hooked. The combination of Astrud Gilberto's soft, alluring voice and the masterful orchestrations of Gil Evans is altogether amazing. It seems impossible that such lush, soaring harmonies in the brass section could possibly enhance the intimacy of Astrud's voice, but here the impossible is accomplished. I highly recommend this album.”

“Not her best, but if you enjoy Gilberto's deep, slightly off-centre vocals and her sweet coo, you'll get a sultry groove on nevertheless.”

No comments:

Post a Comment