Saturday 10 September 2016

Pearly Shells – BILLY VAUGHN***

Pearly Shells/Peg O’ My Heart/I Cried For You/Everybody Loves Somebody/A Taste Of Honey/Girl From Ipanema/Maybe/For Me & My Gal/Caravan/Moonlight & Shadows/Over The Rainbow/Again

Pearly Shells returned bandleader Billy Vaughn to the upper reaches of the US album charts. Easy listening orchestral instrumental albums such as this were quickly fading from the charts during the mid 1960s. (US:18)

"If you like excellent alto sax playing harmonics this is music for you. I've never met anyone who doesn't like his music."

"Billy's orchestra was basically a rock band surrounded by horns."

"Billy Vaughn kept some of us sane during the raucous decade of the 50s and the early part of the 60s with his melodic sounds."

"Gentle, nice and swaying wonder. What magic Billy Vaughn had in composing Pearly Shells. Yet another of my favourite instrumental hits from Billy Vaughn & Orchestra."

"First time I heard this one I was surprised. No saxophones. I don't dislike saxophones, but so many of his songs have them that it's a pleasant surprise to hear one without them. They would, I think, be a harsh addition to the soft, tropical melody of Pearly Shells."

No comments:

Post a Comment