Thursday 8 September 2016

I Am – P.J. PROBY***

Whatever Will Be Will Be/Its No Good For Me/Rockin’ Pneumonia & The Boogie Woogie Flu/The Masquerade Is Over/Glory Of Love/I’ll Go Crazy/Question/You Don’t Love Me No More/Don’t Worry Baby/Just Call & I’ll Be There/Louisiana Man/Cuttin’ In

US vocalist P J Proby was far more successful in the UK than in his home country, with six top twenty singles during 1964-65. None of these are included on his only hit album, the rocking I Am P J Proby. Unfortunately, he is best remembered for the publicity generated by some alleged trouser splitting incidents whilst on stage. (UK:16)

"Compared to his other albums, I Am P J Proby is faster in beat and more influenced by rock & roll."

"A terrific debut. A perfect showcase of an extraordinary talent capable of almost anything. I consider this a fantastic album with some weak points such as Don't Worry Baby, really inferior to The Beach Boys`s original, and some extreme highlights - almost anything else. Thank you P.J. for all the good moments you have given us."

"This is an excellent album, one that I can strongly recommend to anyone and not just fans. I think that if you don't like this album after hearing it then you're pretty hard to please. I love every song and simply can't choose a favourite."

"I came across this album in a record store a year or so ago and after listening to it I fell in love with the man and his music all over again. Surely P.J. Proby is one of the best all round entertainers ever. Better looking than Elvis and with a greater vocal range, PJ sweeps all before him."

"This was one of the first albums I ever bought, and I was absolutely amazed. This man had the greatest range in vocals I had ever heard. Absolutely wonderful. And I have been collecting his records ever since."

"Proby had a fantastically powerful and emotionally charged voice, unique in style when he wanted it to be. He could also sound like Elvis Presley when the mood took him too. He pours his very heart and soul into his performances. PJ was equally at home with a raunchy rock & roll number as with classic ballads. If only he hadn't split those trousers - we can just wonder what might have been."

No comments:

Post a Comment