Sunday 18 March 2018

I’ve Gotta Be Me – SAMMY DAVIS JR***

I‘ve Gotta Be Me/My Personal Property/I’m Glad There Is You/Here I’ll Stay/I’m A Brass Band/If My Friends Could See Me Now/I’ve Got You Under My Skin/Someday/She Believes In Me/Sweet November

I’ve Gotta Be Me signalled a return to the US album chart for the versatile rat pack singer Sammy Davis Jr, sales no doubt boosted by the US No. 11 hit single title track. (US:24)

“Sammy Davis Jr. possessed so much genius from a very early age so it's no surprise that he could turn out albums like this one when he was a fully fledged, five star entertainer as an adult. Sammy is in excellent form throughout this set; and that's grand. His voice is strong and he sings with a type of genuine passion I enjoy but rarely hear. Just one listen to these songs proves it.”

"I've Gotta Be Me, the title track, begins the song set with Sammy belting this out and he never lets go of a single superfluous note. The lush musical arrangement enhances the ballad as well.”

“I generally admire artists that write their own music and I'm mainly into rock but Sammy is one of those few that just does for me it with his voice. Anything he sang I find interesting and Sammy was at his pinnacle here. Making this album was just another day at the office for him probably. The artists of that era just had a different belief system from those of the present day, paying homage to the big band and swing era. My favourite on this album is My Personal Property."

“This is a solid album with interesting songs, excellent arrangements, and some great singing by Davis when his voice was at its peak.”

“The album contains a mix of standards and movie songs with a few ringers thrown in. There are three songs from Sweet Charity which had just been made into a movie featuring Davis in a hilariously tuneful turn as Big Daddy, the hippie preacher. But the best movie song is the haunting ballad from the soundtrack of Sweet November. Somebody is also very good, a great tune I hadn't heard before with an excellent arrangement and a driving ending where his voice sounds like a trumpet. And if someone made me pick a single favourite performance from Davis, it would be Here I'll Stay. It's the perfect union of song, arrangement and a singer at the very top of his game.”

No comments:

Post a Comment