Wednesday 22 March 2017

The Mamas & The Papas – THE MAMAS & THE PAPAS*****

No Salt On Her Tail/Trip Stumble & Fall/Dancing Bear/Words Of Love/My Heart Stood Still/Dancing In The Street/ I Saw Her Again/Strange Young Girls/I Can’t Wait/Even If I Could/That Kind Of Girl/Once Was A Time I Thought

A quick follow up to their immensely successful debut, this self titled LP again showcases the incredible harmonies of The Mamas & The Papas. Includes the top five US hit singles Words Of Love and I Saw Her Again. (US:4 UK:24)

"This, the second album by The Mamas & the Papas, was recorded and released during the precise high point in their brief career, The end result - while not quite as striking as a whole as their debut - is still magnificent. Aside from the hits I Saw Her Again, which was possibly the hardest rocking track the group ever recorded, and Words Of Love, the rest of the album has numerous highlights. Most notably, My Heart Stood Still and Once Was A Time I Thought are perhaps the finest recordings that the group ever cut."

"My Heart Stood Still showcases Phillips' masterful arranging abilities of older, Tin Pan Alley/Brill Building type material. No Salt On Her Tail is mesmerizing folk-pop which adds a luxurious glow to the vocal harmonies, and Trip Stumble & Fall boasts infectious marimba and an urgent lead from Denny."

"Similar to their debut, with beautiful vocal harmony and great period flavour. But this one loses points for a commercial orientation just slightly too high for my taste."

"Why John Phillips is not considered in the first rank of songwriters is incomprehensible. This is a typically masterful effort with soaring harmonies, brilliant singing, heartbreaking lyrics (listen to Even If I Could) that maintains the spell it conjured on first release."

"This album is a stunning and magnificent follow-up to their debut album, all the while perfecting the male/female harmony. There isn't a clunker here - the group firing on all pistons, and another batch of a dozen folk-pop masterpieces."

"A great album which captures their genius for all time."

No comments:

Post a Comment