Monday 6 March 2017

Album – PETER PAUL & MARY****

And When I Die/Sometime Lovin’/Pack Up Your Sorrows/The King Of Names/For Baby (For Bobbie)/Hurry Sundown/The Other Side Of Life/The Good Times We Had/Kisses Sweeter Than Wine/Norman Normal/Mon Vrai Destin/Well Well Well

The popularity of the folk trio Peter, Paul & Mary was now beginning to slip a little as demonstrated by the chart placing of the uninspiring titled Album. The contents, however, are up to their usual high standard. (US:22)

"The folk tracks on this album convey a wide range of emotions but in general, this album takes on a darker, sadder, and more serious tone than the other works I have by the group. The tracks are very tight and executed with precision with the multiple voice harmonies flowing naturally and not forced. The tuning and timing are spot on."

"There are no glaring faults with Album. It is standard folk fare, so one does not hear a great deal of variety, but if you like folk music, this album is very good and among the best I have heard from the group."

"I think the melodies were the strength of this album. Not a whole lot wrong with this but at the same time production and structure kept this from being a little more special than it could have been."

"The things that made me play the album half to death back in the 60s still appeal: gorgeous harmonies, the sweet voice of Mary Travers, and songs that are easy to sing along with. I found myself playing it over and over, belting out And When I Die at the top of my lungs, harmonizing on Pack Up Your Sorrows and trying vainly to make out the words to Mon Vrai Destin."

"Most of the songs hold up well, though Norman Normal still irritates me almost as much as it did when I was a teenager. Sure, there's a little saccharine here; what 60s folkie group didn't occasionally suffer from that particular malaise? But it's bearable, offset as it is by tunes such as Well Well Well and And When I Die."

"After a brilliant See What Tomorrow Brings this 'follow up' was different but equally good. A departure as they used members of Paul Butterfield's Blues Band. This is a very strong album and the last, for me, of the albums when they couldn't go wrong. This is a very beautiful record. The title might suggest they couldn't think of a title. But these songs are, largely, all about time. It remains my favourite PP & M record."

No comments:

Post a Comment