Thursday 25 February 2016

Songs I Sing On The Jackie Gleason Show – FRANK FONTAINE**

When Your Hair Has Turned To Silver/I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles/That Old Gang Of Mine/Daddy’s Little Girl/If You Were The Only Girl In The World/Mary’s A Grand Old Name/(The Gang That Sang) Heart Of My Heart/I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her Now/Beautiful/If I Had My Way/Always/Easter Parade

Surprise US album chart topper from this regular comedy actor on the Jackie Gleason Show. This is a collection of sentimental oldies sung in a deep bass voice in a very old fashioned plodding style. Presumably its appeal was to the older viewers of the TV show recalling the songs of their youth. Today's listeners may prefer interpretations which demonstrate more vim, verve and vigour. His subsequent album releases were much less successful. (US:1)

"Listening to Frank Fontaine always makes me feel so very fortunate to have grown up during the period in time when he appeared on the Jackie Gleason Show each week."

"What a gifted singer he was when he sang these great standards. It was pure musical magic."

"You won't regret buying this album - it is music as it should be heard."

"The first time I heard him sing on the Gleason show, it floored me that a voice like that came out of nowhere."

"One of the best bass singers from that era."

No comments:

Post a Comment