Sunday 28 February 2016

I Wanna Be Around – TONY BENNETT****

The Good Life/If I Love Again/I Wanna Be Around/I’ve Got Your Number//Until I Met You/Let’s Face The Music And Dance/Once Upon A Summertime/If You Were Mine/I Will Live My Life For You/Someone To Love/It Was Me/Quiet Nights

Highly respected jazz influenced vocalist Tony Bennett enjoyed his third US top twenty album with I Wanna Be Around which features classics such as The Good Life and the title track, both US top twenty singles. (US:5)

"I Wanna Be Around shades more toward the popular soft swing style than jazz, but delivers two of the singer's signature numbers and much more, The Good Life and the title track."

"Throughout, you can sense these songs fit the singer like a custom tailored suit."

"The songs are fully up to the performance, plenty of Johnny Mercer numbers, plus Coleman and Leigh's pleasing I've Got Your Number which finds the singer phrasing some clever lyrics in tempo."

"Nobody today can sing a standard like Mr. Bennett, because he's practically the last of the great traditional jazz/pop vocalists around."

"There was no male pop/contemporary singer who had quite a hot streak like Tony Bennett in the early 60s. His talent and artistry has stood the test of time."

"The opening number The Good Life is the definitive version of this tender song. The title song I Wanna Be Around is filled with colour and dimension. Tony's vocal timing is impeccable."

“This music is far less popular than it deserves to be."

The Good Life is above everything and everyone. A true piece of art."

I Wanna Be Around is a fantastic song but it is also one of the cruellest sentiments in pop music. Still, I love it."

No comments:

Post a Comment