Friday 23 June 2017

Rewind – JOHNNY RIVERS****

The Tracks Of My Tears/Carpet Man/Tunesmith/Sidewalk Song-27th Street/It’ll Never Happen Again/Do What You Gotta Do/Baby I Need Your Lovin’/For Emily Wherever I May Find Her/Rosecrans Boulevard/The Eleventh Song/Sweet Smiling Children

Rewind from Johnny Rivers is notable for the inclusion of six songs from the then up and coming songwriter Jimmy Webb. Includes the US top ten singles Baby I Need Your Lovin' and The Tracks Of My Tears, both covers of recent Motown hits. (US:14)

"No one has ever created better covers of other artist's songs more consistently than sixties superstar Johnny Rivers. From Baby I Need Your Lovin' to The Tracks Of My Tears, Johnny turns in a truly stellar performance here."

"Few other sixties artists were as bold or as forthright about delivering stirring and accomplished covers of other artists work. Rivers has long been under-appreciated as a master for delivering blue-eyed soul with conviction and believability."

"Mr. Rivers does such an incredible job of turning wonderful songs into truly great pieces of music. His style brings out the best in a song."

"Rivers is a very engaging singer and those of us who hail from that generation know many of these melodies by heart. He was great at covering other people's songs and even if you love the originals you'll really enjoy Rivers' versions."

"Rewind is an amazing record, not only for the spot-on vocals, but for the choice of material. I'm particularly impressed by the six Jim Webb covers, my favourite being Rosecrans Boulevard, but they're all great."

"When Jimmy Webb was riding high, Johnny Rivers took advantage of covering his songs and did a good job. As I recently listened to this LP it dawned on me how similar the arrangements were on most of these songs. Lush strings, horns and piccolo etc. with Johnny's voice out front. If you listen to these one after the other the sameness gets to you. However, each one on its own merits still sounds great."

"Johnny Rivers has always been one of my favourite artists and Jimmy Webb wrote songs that seemed to call me by name."

No comments:

Post a Comment