Wednesday 21 June 2017

Live At The Talk Of The Town – TOM JONES****

Ain’t That Good News/Hello Young Lovers/I Can’t Stop Loving You/What’s New Pussycat/Not Responsible/I Believe/My Yiddische Momme/Shake/That Lucky Old Sun/Thunderball/That Old Black Magic/Green Green Grass Of Home/Its Not Unusual/Land Of A Thousand Dances

Live At The Talk Of The Town was the first live set from powerful Welsh balladeer Tom Jones. He would build his international reputation with his live performances, particularly at Las Vegas. (US:13 UK:6)

"The live setting is captured wonderfully and the rapport with the audience comes across well. Green Green Grass Of Home is the outstanding track, but in reality they are all excellent with Tom at his best. I am the wrong age to like this, but like it I do."

"Tom is one of those performers who is somehow better live than in the studio. When I have been lucky enough to catch his live act I could feel his 'joy of performing' in the air. His live material exudes an indefinable excitement that is not fully captured in the recording studio. Besides his 'joy of performing' I suspect it must be those great live rhythm and blues arrangements, added to that heavy horn section, plus Tom's blasting soulful voice that contribute to my enjoyment of his live material."

"Back when singers could actually sing without vocal enhancements and true live stage entertainers became legends like Tom, Elvis and Engelbert. This LP will give you a glimpse back into that time when things were so good."

"Being a Tom Jones fan for many years, to hear an LP like this of his early live recordings just after breaking into the American market, is a real treat."

No comments:

Post a Comment