Sunday 4 June 2017

High Priestess Of Soul – NINA SIMONE***

Don’t You Pay Them No Mind/I’m Gonna Leave You/Brown Eyed Handsome Man/Keeper Of The Flame/The Gal From Joe’s/Take Me To The Water/I’m Going Back Home/I Hold No Grudge/Come Ye/He Ain’t Comin’ Home No More/Work Song/I Love My Baby

High Priestess Of Soul was Nine Simone’s final album on the Philips label. It highlighted how adept she was at performing in a wide range of styles and settings.

“When Simone sings Keeper Of The Flame, you know why the pyramids are still there and the sun still sets. Simply fabulous, even the string arrangements which are usually annoying or overdone work here. Nothing can undermine her voice and the beautiful selection of songs. If you have never heard Simone you could start here.”

“I can’t say enough about this great LP. Easy listening and smooth vibes. Just what I need to relax after a hard day at work.” “The song selection was not as pleasing or enjoyable as I personally like; I am more of a soulful, blues person and many of the songs were 'too bouncy' for me.”

“A much more upbeat record from Simone than we're used to, although a more upbeat Nina Simone is still a fairly calm, reserved figure. Some of the jumped-up moments are pretty excellent - the Ray Charles-esque I'm Gonna Leave You, the cover of Brown Eyed Handsome Man. However, the record peaks on its two most spectral moments, the spiritual and minimal Come Ye and the portentous and insidious Keeper Of The Flame. The latter must be considered a career highlight for her, it's incredible.”

“With a ten-year career behind her, High Priestess Of Soul finds Nina Simone comfortable in a range of styles, from pop to R & B and soul to blues to gospel. As ever, as an album it is not especially consistent, but the diversity and high-quality performances and arrangements make up for some of the unevenness.”

“It is a fitting end to a seven album run for the Philips label in which Simone recorded a number of her most iconic songs. The variety of songs and the singing in itself remind me more of a melting pot than of a consistent whole.”

No comments:

Post a Comment