Saturday 17 December 2016

Best Of – HERMAN’S HERMITS***

I’m Henry VIII I Am/Mrs Brown You’ve Got A Lovely Daughter/Mother In Law/I’m Into Something Good/ Silhouettes/Just A Little Bit Better/Can’t You Hear My Heartbeat/The End Of The World/Sea Cruise/I Gotta Dream On/Wonderful World

This was a premature best of collection from the British Invasion pop group Herman’s Hermits. With another five years of hit singles still in front of the group there are much better compilation albums available. (US:5)

"Herman's Hermits do a wonderful cover of the 50s torch song Silhouettes and the guitar work is nothing short of excellent - I love it. Can't You Hear My Heartbeat was another huge hit for this group; and they sing this to perfection - and beyond."

"They had just one British number one, their first release, I'm Into Something Good. This Goffin/King song is very characteristic of the time, with its teen-love lyrics and catchy tune, and remains the trademark Hermits song."

"Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter was one of a trio of quaintly British novelty songs that were the mainstay of their US success, but were quite rightly never released as singles in the UK, where they would have been seen as old material that had already been performed better by other artists. Despite these negative comments, the Hermits were an essential part of the sixties scene."

"Peter Noone and crew serving up tune after tune that many of us grew up on. It rarely gets any better than this, if you're a serious fan of this genre. It was nice to once again hear the original recordings of gems like I'm Into Something Good, Silhouettes and Can't You Hear My Heartbeat." "Few bands were as good in their niche as Herman's Hermits. They had great talent and always did fun songs that were innocent for kids in grade school, like I was. Great music and harmony."

"Today's musicians could learn a lot, not only from the Herman's Hermits, but from all of the musicians from the 1960s. That was back when music was music."

No comments:

Post a Comment