Tuesday 9 July 2019

With Love Bobby - BOBBY SHERMAN***

Julie Do Ya Love Me/Sweet Gingerbread Man/I Think I'm Gonna Rain/I'll Never Let You Go/Show Me/Sweet Touch Of Life/Hey Mister Sun/Spend Some Time Lovin' Me/Oklahoma City Times/Message To My Brother/Good For Each Other

With Love Bobby was the last of the three high charting albums from US teen idol Bobby Sherman. His fickle young teen girl fans would shortly be transferring their affections to David Cassidy and The Osmonds. Includes the US No. 5 hit single Julie Do Ya Love Me. (US:20)

"I remember swooning over this cover with my sister. The songs bring me back to being a pre-teen and all those hopes and dreams while singing at the top of my lungs Hey Mr. Sun."

"It'd be a shame if Bobby was solely remembered as a handsome teen idol from the early 70s.He had a great voice and sang cool pop songs. This is a great LP - if you like David Cassidy and The Partridge Family you'll probably find a common thread here."

"Bobby was really cool. This has one of his signature songs, Julie, Do Ya Love Me?, along with Sweet Gingerbread Man, a song from a movie which I've never seen, but I would be inclined to because I like the song. Hey Mister Sun is also here (one of my favourites). The album has a bit of a country tinge to it, especially in songs like Sweet Touch Of Life, Oklahoma City Times (a really good one), and the extraordinary Message To My Brother. This one could have been easily covered by The Byrds during their magnificent country/rock period. It's that good a song. The final track, Good For Each Other, has a killer horn opening and closes the album on an awesome note."

"The music might have been manufactured solely for the teen idol's audience, and it was quite annoying to rockers and critics during Sherman's heyday."

"Containing two of his best-known songs, With Love, Bobby has Julie Do Ya Love Me opening side one and Hey Mister Sun doing the honours on side two. And there's no denying both are pop classics."

No comments:

Post a Comment