Tuesday 9 July 2019

The Partridge Family Album - THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY***

Brand New Me/Point Me In The Direction Of Albuquerque/Bandala/I Really Want To Know You/Only A Moment Ago/I Can Hear Your Heartbeat/I'm On The Road/To Be Lovers/Somebody Wants To Love You/I Think I Love You/Singing My Song

The debut album from the American bubblegum pop group The Partridge Family was a spin-off from the TV show starring Shirley Jones and David Cassidy. The latter would shortly be launched as a successful teenybop idol. Includes the US No. 1 hit single I Think I Love You, which stalled at No. 18 in the UK. (US:4)

"Quite a bit of cheese on here, but when David Cassidy's voice and the material are compatible, the result is pop perfection. How can you argue with I Think I Love You"

"Mindless bubblegum pop here. But pretty good for what it is, and very well produced. Point Me In The Direction Of Albuquerque is the best song on this album, much better than the hit single I Think I Love You. Another good one is Somebody Wants To Love You."

"While the television show grew into David-mania, this first piece of merchandising, in the form of a manufactured rock recording, is fascinating. The Partridge Family sound would be determined by the success of their first gigantic hit, I Think I Love You, which appears on this album; but, by turns, you will find many differing styles of music here, with some songs featuring an audible Shirley Jones, and some featuring no one recognizable at all. The melodies are rich, the production values superb - and songs like On The Road, To Be Lovers and Point Me In The Direction of Albuquerque are infinitely more sophisticated than the bubblegum label we usually apply to their records."

"I love all The Partridge Family albums but this one is certainly the best. Granted, everyone in the group did not actually sing but we are graced with original vocals by David Cassidy and Shirley Jones. This collection is pure bubblegum but it also proves to be a perfectly made pop album. There are some very good songs here and the selection is very eclectic with even some hints of a slight R & B sound."

"Before the marketing strategists behind the Partridge Family TV show found their sound with David Cassidy in front, this album was recorded as a sort of mish-mash of styles. The songs are all melodic, and have the commercial appeal their creators sought. The skilled backup singers create a much copied style of 'echo backups'."

No comments:

Post a Comment