Sunday 2 July 2017

With A Lot O’ Soul – THE TEMPTATIONS*****

I Know I’m Losing You/Ain’t No Sun Since You’ve Been Gone/All I Need/Its You That I Need/No More Water In The Well/Save My Love For A Rainy Day/Just One Last Look/Sorry Is A Sorry Word/You’re My Everything/Now That You’ve Won Me/Two Sides To Love/Don’t Send Me Away

Motown reached a peak of creativity in the mid to late sixties as demonstrated by this classic R & B album from The Temptations. With A Lot O' Soul includes four US top twenty hit singles, All I Need, You're My Everything, Its You That I Need and I Know I'm Losing You. (US:7 UK:19)

"The Temptations were the hottest R & B act on the planet, thrilling fans the world over, and albums like this were the reason why. It sounds just as mesmerizing and fresh today as it did back in 1967. The gritty emotion of the opening song, the first smash (I Know) I'm Losing You with the magnificent tenor vocals of David Ruffin set the stage for what you're going to hear throughout this album, down-to-earth confessions from men telling of love lost and found, hearts broken and healed, and pleas for acceptance and forgiveness, wrapped in a soulful and heartfelt package."

"By now Norman Whitfield was sharing production credits with Smokey Robinson, and you can tell the difference between the two when you hear the songs. Whereas Smokey's songwriting and productions were usually more on the sweeter and gentle side, Whitfield's were more demanding, more anguished, more driving, especially with David Ruffin out in front on most of the tunes."

"This is one of the last great collections of Motown's first golden era. What more can I say? This album should be required listening for any young vocal group that is just starting out."

"At a time when Motown was regularly putting out albums that consisted of a couple of hit singles and lots of filler, this brilliant album was released in the summer of 1967. Featuring some of David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks' most affecting vocal performances they ever recorded, makes this one of Motown's best albums."

"This is one of the finest, most fun, beautiful, soaring achievements to ever come out of Motown, and is the pinnacle of the David Ruffin years. David, Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams all top themselves here, with soul music so fantastic you'll smile and cry at once. Stop reading, go buy this now."

No comments:

Post a Comment