Monday 22 May 2017

Sings The Blues – NINA SIMONE****

Do I Move You/Day & Night/In The Dark/Real Real/My Man’s Gone Now/Backlash Blues/I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl/Buck/Since I Fell For You/The House Of The Rising Sun/Blues For Mama

Sings The Blues is one of a number of themed albums Nina Simone released during the 1960s showcasing her ability to perform in a variety of different musical genres.

“Nina Simone sang many styles of music well, including soul and jazz, but to me, this is Nina at her best. She squeezes every drop of emotion from her voice. This is raw, passionate blues, and I think it's one of the more important albums of the 60s.”

“The in your face assertiveness of Nina Simone pours out here and projects an attitude that may not be everyone's cup of tea. However for those who hunger for the soul laid bare, Nina Simone stands out for her naked expressions of emotion and consciousness. An absolutely revelatory album and highly recommended to those just getting into Nina's music.”

“From the moment I heard it, I was tapping my toes and fingers. Fantastic voice, excellent songs, this is one of the best blues LPs I have heard. If you like blues, check this one out.”

“This is certainly Nina's most powerful band configuration; the rusty blues guitar, soulful backing vocals, and especially the sharp, sleazy harmonica act almost as primary characters on the less engaging material. Nina is impassioned, confident and bursting with intent, as in the lustful Do I Move You? or the political Backlash Blues. Meanwhile, the production makes use of improving studio technology, with overdubbed vocal harmonies and a crisp sound.”

“Some people think of Simone as having a masculine, assertive voice, but this album is plaintive, sad, and sensuous in a more conventional way. That in itself doesn't make it a great album, but Simone's superlative interpretation and phrasing does.”

“As good as blues gets. Simone's voice is gravelly and smooth, grating and gorgeous, and most of all, undeniably unique. She is also a master interpreter, bending every song she approaches. Her voice is so distinct that it can never be copied, and her styling and phrasing is deep. In The Dark and I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl are absolute gems, but the LP overall is excellent.”

No comments:

Post a Comment