Sunday 21 May 2017

My Cup Runneth Over – ED AMES***

My Cup Runneth Over/In The Arms Of Love/Au Revoir/Don’t Blame Me/Watch What Happens/Melinda/Bon Soire Dame/There’s A Time For Everything/True Love/Our Love Is A Living Thing/Edelweiss

Easy listening Ed Ames achieved his highest album chart placing with the romantic My Cup Runneth Over. The title track show tune was a US No. 8 hit single. (US:4)

"His albums were easy listening records, with light folk, country and pop influences."

"The title song comes from the Broadway show I Do I Do and sets the tone for a delightful mix of beautiful songs mostly from stage and screen. For example, True Love is the Cole Porter ballad from the Grace Kelly, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra movie, High Society - and no one ever sang the song better than Ed Ames. This album is beautiful, unabashed romanticism."

"My Cup Runneth Over has some of the most beautiful love songs ever written sung by a man with the richest, baritone voice and I nearly wore the album out. This is a classic body of songs and you can't go wrong with it. If you love beautiful melodies and intelligent lyrics, this LP is a must."

"In the fifty year history of modern popular music, there are only a handful of voices that are instantly recognizable. One of these is the satin smooth baritone of Ed Ames. The title track, My Cup Runneth Over, is the highlight of the album, but it is given a gentle nudge by Au Revoir, True Love and Watch What Happens. As a bonus, Ed's beautiful rendition of Edelweiss can move a listener to tears. It is often said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When Ed Ames is singing, close your eyes and let your ears take over. The effect is magical."

"I have the original 1967 record album and practically wore it out. Drove my college roommate crazy by playing it over and over again. What can I say - these songs still make me laugh and cry. If you are in any way romantic, do not miss this."

"Ed Ames is unrivalled among the greatest male singers. And for many reasons: his absolute professionalism, his deep humanity that transcends his singing, his emotional, gracious, evocative style, the conviction he puts in each song, viewed as a work in itself. His voice is like the seasons, being like a light breeze or capable of thundering."

No comments:

Post a Comment