Thursday 4 May 2017

Colour My World – PETULA CLARK****

This Is My Song/Cherish/Please Don’t Go/What Would I Be/While The Children Play/Who Am I/Winchester Cathedral/Las Vegas/The Show Is Over/Special People/Here There & Everywhere/Colour My World

Easy listening vocalist Petula Clark was at the height of her popularity in the mid sixties, after she teamed up with songwriter Tony Hatch, who provided her with many upbeat pop numbers such as Colour My World. As well as the top twenty title track it also contains her biggest hit from this period, This Is My Song, written by Charlie Chaplin, which reached No. 1 in the UK and No. 3 in the US. (UK:16)

"This Is My Song, written by Charles Chaplin, again highlights Petula's marvellous voice as she delivers this classic love ballad with panache and great sophistication."

"In my opinion Petula Clark was the best female vocalist of the 1960s. Her unique rich, crystal clear vocals and ability to incorporate elements of jazz in her pop recordings are all displayed in this LP."

"Recorded at the height of her international popularity in 1966 and 1967, with her remarkable vocal consistency and range of song material well in evidence. Apart from the albums' hit songs, there are great versions of Winchester Cathedral and Who Am I, which vie with more eclectic numbers like While The Children Play."

"The variety of sources is wide, but I would expect nothing less from Petula. You can't tell which are the old songs from Petula's versions, because they've all been suitably updated for the sixties."

"If you are Petula Clark fan, you must have the songs she sang at the height of her popularity. These are them. You can easily hear why she had such broad appeal from the very young to the older crowd - they all liked Pet. She was that rare phenomenon - a singer that appealed to the widest gamut. The reason is easy to understand - her vocal gift is easy on the ears and she uses her voice well with great vocal taste."

"Her clear, strong, and expressive voice is just captivating. Her choice of songs is fabulous, cheerful, modern and exhilarating. When she sings Who Am I, I can see myself taking off from the ground to the clouds. We need a lot more of this kind of music."

No comments:

Post a Comment