Tuesday 18 October 2016

Red Roses For A Blue Lady – VIC DANA***

Red Roses For A Blue Lady/I’ll Be Around/You’re My Everything/I’ll See You In My Dreams/I’m In The Mood For Love/I’ll Be Seeing You/You Were Meant For Me/Love After Midnight/Once In A While/It Had To Be You/I’d Trade All Of My Tomorrow’s/I’ll Get By

US romantic vocalist Vic Dana achieved his only US top twenty album success with Red Roses For A Blue Lady. His revival of the title track peaked at No. 10 on the US singles chart. (US:13)

"Vic Dana charted a long string of mostly moderate and minor hit singles in the '60s, but never achieved the name recognition of such likeminded contemporaries as Bobby Vinton or even Jack Jones. Dana's biggest hit, and only top ten entry, was one of three hit versions of Red Roses For A Blue Lady in 1965, and, in general, his hits were covers of songs that are strongly associated with other artists."

"Dana may not have forged a unique musical identity, but his recordings bridged the gap between teen idol pop and adult contemporary, making him the sort of sturdy and versatile MOR vocalist who enjoyed steady album sales."

"Vic Dana didn't make it like the other Philly singers then but he had a great voice for ballads. Vic Dana has the most beautiful singing voice." "This is an excellent album, as were most of Vic's early albums."

"Dana caught his stride when he moved towards more mature, adult material. His silky-smooth tenor found him a following with such tunes as Red Roses For A Blue Lady. The material is mostly romantic ballads with strong melodies backed up by bouncy orchestrations. No musical breakthroughs here - just some very listenable smooth-sounding middle-of-the-road pop."

"Although Vic Dana was slighted by some, his voice was actually quite beautiful to hear and I always enjoy listening to him sing. Vic's style was terrific; he could really plunge into a song and make it special with genuine feeling and emotion."

"The album starts with Vic Dana performing at his usual very best on Red Roses For A Blue Lady, this number stuns me with its beauty every time I hear Vic sing it. The music that plays fits perfectly with Vic's vocals, and his excellent diction improves his performance all the more. I love it."

No comments:

Post a Comment