Tuesday 18 October 2016

My Kind Of Town – JACK JONES****

My Kind Of Town/Somewhere Along The Way/More/The Race Is On/I Can’t Believe I’m Losing You/Travellin’ On/The One I Love/Yes I Can/I’m All Smiles/I Must Know/Time After Time/King Of The Road

MOR vocalist Jack Jones cemented his growing reputation with My Kind Of Town, which includes the US No. 15 hit single The Race Is On and other contemporary songs. (US:29)

"Speaking of Ol' Blue Eyes, who else could sing My Kind Of Town? Jack Jones, that's who. Complete with a new set of lyrics from Sammy Cahn and a jazzy new arrangement, Jack puts his own spin on this ode to the great city without ever trying to upstage Sinatra. Very classy, and very swingin'."

"The album, My Kind Of Town contains more contemporary songs - contemporary that is to 1965, and is well worth a listen especially on Neil Hefti's jazzy I Must Know. Just great vocal pop music."

"Yet another classic collection from his golden period. When you look back at his releases from the sixties alone, he was one prolific guy." "Jack often recorded an entire album of songs in two or three days, which is staggering considering how pampered (and under-talented) most modern artists are. There is just no way to get your head around how good Jack Jones is. He is beyond comparison."

"Jack Jones performs brilliantly on this LP. His voice is in excellent form here and he never once falters; this is a wonderful album for his fans and great for starters if you're just getting into the great way Jack can sing a tune."

"This album gave him an opportunity he rarely had to tackle really deep material. It's clear he is a supreme vocal talent - gorgeous baritone, beautiful long phrasing, great breath control, impeccable pronunciation, on-the-nose intonation at all times and truly intelligent and emotional lyric interpretation."

"My Kind Of Town, has no single theme or concept. It consists of songs compiled from different sessions recorded between 1962 and 1965 (a few lovely ballads, but predominantly fun and upbeat titles), and it was a huge commercial hit for Jones."

No comments:

Post a Comment