Friday 14 October 2016

Greatest Hits From The Beginning – THE MIRACLES*****

I Got A Job/I Cry/Mama Done Told Me/(If I Need Some)Money/Bad Girl/I Love Your Baby/I Need A Change/All I Want Is You/(You Can)Depend On Me/Who’s Lovin’ You/That’s What Love Is Made Of/Mickey’s Monkey/I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying/You Really Got A Hold On Me/I Like It Like That/A Love She Can Count On/Shop Around/Way Over There/I’ve Been Good To You/Would I Love You/I’ll Try Something New/What’s So Good About Goodbye

The Miracles, led by Smokey Robinson, were Motown's first major artist and played a pivotal role in establishing the success of this groundbreaking music company. The double LP Greatest Hits From The Beginning includes their hit releases between 1958 and 1964. (US:21)

"Smokey Robinson may be the greatest songwriter of his era. No one else was coming up with his splendidly clever turns of phrase. Hear some motherly advice via Shop Around, and just dance and have a good time with Mickey's Monkey."

"Smokey was one of the most amazing songwriters of the 20th century, and his best work was with his group, The Miracles. And we can't forget Smokey's pristine falsetto voice sailing over the music, with the tight harmonies of The Miracles holding it."

"This music is R & B in its purest form. I can relate to this music more than the R & B of today. Bad Girl from 1959 is such a beautiful doo-wop style harmony, and Smokey Robinson's voice has such a passion in it. The simplistic beat is just so relaxing and cool to chill or ride to."

"No R & B/soul collection would be complete without Smokey represented, and this exceptional anthology represents him admirably. It is exploding with content, replete with must-have classics and unfamiliar gems. Robinson's voice evokes a visceral, emotional response. It has, of course, an ethereal beauty that sounds more suited to heaven than earth. The precision of the back-up harmonies and arrangements makes for an effect that is uniformly appealing and genuine. This music is never overtly clever or self-conscious - it is masterfully crafted and sincere."

"Smokey Robinson was once described by Bob Dylan as 'the greatest living poet'. That is certainly nothing of an understatement and Smokey Robinson was one of the most richly talented singer/songwriter/producers at Tamla Motown Records."

No comments:

Post a Comment