Sunday 29 May 2016

Wives & Lovers – JACK JONES****

Wives & Lovers/Toys In The Attic/Song About Love/I’m Moody/Angel Eyes/Fly Me To The Moon/Charade/I Wish You Love/Nina Never Knew/Summertime Promises/I See Your Face Before Me/Come Rain Or Shine

Smooth MOR vocalist Jack Jones entered the US album top twenty for the first time with Wives & Lovers. The Grammy winning title track single reached No. 14 in the US. (US:18)

"Without a doubt, Jack Jones is the greatest 'crooner' singer of the lot, the natural sound of Jack's voice is the most pleasant of them all. His delivery is so great and beautiful, I have really no choice but to say he's the best singer of all. It's a wonder that he wasn't more popular than he actually was."

"The backing orchestra's very lush st

"It's great to appreciate Jack Jones' magic with the love song. Far too often, Jones has been wrongfully dismissed as a lightweight for singing many ballads, but he elevated this genre into an art form."

"It's astounding enough that the man possessed the most perfectly beautiful singing voice and the greatest vocal range in the business. Even more amazing that he added so much warmth, sensitivity, charm and humility that made each love song so immediate and memorable. No other singer could match these qualities."

"It's not just that he has a golden, smooth voice, with an almost operatic range, it's that he is never afraid of taking chances with his phrasing and delivery, which makes for some very exciting performances. Jack has a beautiful multi-layered voice that just gets better and better with each listening. His musical stylings are impeccable and have truly stood the test of time."

"As a fifty-something woman I've come about full circle with the playful, lovely song Wives & Lovers. I was an adolescent girl when I first heard it on AM radio and thought it was wonderful; then I was taught it was 'sexist' and, budding feminist that I was, felt properly guilty about my affection for it. Now I love it again, and without reservations. I've learned that sometimes it's better to go with the mood and not obsess about the meaning."

No comments:

Post a Comment